Want to read more?
We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Arran Banner – subscribe today for as little as 48 pence per week.
technical support? Click here
People on Arran and across Scotland are being warned of the dangers of giant hogweed, a toxic plant that can cause severe skin blisters, burns and even blindness.
The warning comes from NatureScot and Care of Burns in Scotland Managed Clinical Network (COBIS) ahead of the school summer holidays when people, particularly children, are most likely to be exploring the outdoors.
Giant hogweed sap contains a toxic chemical which sensitises the skin to sunlight and causes severe blisters, resulting in burns which can be serious and long lasting. Every year gardeners, walkers, children and animals are hurt by the plant.
Not native to Scotland, giant hogweed is widespread across central and eastern parts of the country. It is commonly found along river banks, on waste ground and beside roads and train tracks.
NatureScot’s invasive species policy manager Stan Whitaker said: ‘It’s really important for people to be able to recognise giant hogweed so they can avoid potentially serious injury.
‘Thankfully the plant is relatively easy to identify when fully grown due to its enormous size of between two and four metres tall, with large white clusters of flowers up to 80cms wide.
‘Its leaves are very large and sharply divided and can be over one metre across while the stems are green with purple blotches and covered with bristly hairs.’
‘As well as being a health risk to people and animals, giant hogweed is also a risk to our environment because it forms dense patches which crowd out native plants.
‘It can be very tricky to eradicate because each plant produces more than 20,000 seeds, which can live in the soil for up to five years, so land owners need to take a long-term approach to removing it every year, before it flowers.’
Dog walkers are also being urged to keep their pets away from giant hogweed as it is harmful to animals as well as humans.
Eleanor Robertson, senior clinical research fellow at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, said: ‘This plant, although impressive to look at, is best avoided and reported to your council. If you come into contact with the plant, you must cover the affected area to block sunlight then thoroughly wash the area to remove the sap. Should redness or blistering occur, seek medical help.’
Anyone who spots giant hogweed growing on amenity land, such as parks, playing fields, footpaths or road verges, should report it to the local authority.
Flowering hogweed can grow up to four metres high and presents a danger to animals and pets. Photograph: Tom Richards – Wye and Usk Foundation. No_B26hogweed01
Giant hogweed is easily distinguishable by its large, sharply divided leaves. Photograph: Lorne Gill -NatureScot. No_B26hogweed02