Arran show their mettle in first home game of the season

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Arran Banner – subscribe today for as little as 48 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Isle of Arran 9

Blantyre Albion 2

West of Scotland Cup

Arran welcomed Blantyre Albion to the Ormidale Pavillion for their first home game of the season in the second round of the West of Scotland Cup.

The game started with Arran playing some great passing football and it was the Arran side which broke the deadlock when Danny Head’s chip-through ball was met expertly by Archie McNicol who volleyed it into the net.

Blantyre then got a quickfire equaliser when their striker smashed the ball into the net from a tight angle. Nick Emsley rose highest from McNicol’s corner to make it 2-1 to the home team with a powerful header. Johnny Sloss then got his first of the game with a great finish after his trademark fast footwork.

Archie then took the opportunity to take his second goal of the match to put the score at 4-1 when his free kick was placed perfectly into the corner of the net. Sloss netted once more before half-time to make the score 5-1.

In the second half Arran picked up from where they left off and scored a great passing goal when Emsley’s pass was threaded through to Sloss who teamed up John Drummond to make it 6-1. Blantyre pulled a goal back when their shot ended up being deflected by Dave Heenan in goals.

Sam Tattersfield then scored a carbon copy of his goal from last year when he scored from all of 70 yards from his own half when his long through ball caught the goalkeeper out and bounced over his head. Emsley got his second of the game after pouncing on the rebound from a McNicol shot.

There was a welcome comeback for Matthew Dobson as he played his first game in months and he was rewarded instantly with a goal to round off the scoring at 9-2.

This was by all accounts one of Arran’s best performances since forming and the result was severe for Blantyre who played some good football at times.

A spokesperson for the club said: ‘We would like to thank Blantyre for coming over and for joining us for some refreshments in the club afterwards. Congratulations to their captain for winning the pint challenge after a poor effort from Arran man of the match Johnny Sloss. We wish them all the best for the season.’

The next fixture for the Arran side will be a league game against Irvine SB at Kilwinning Sports Club on Sunday September 29 with a kick off time of 12.45pm.

Johnny Sloss weaves his way through opposition players to score for Arran. 01_B39footB01

The one that got away, Dave Heenan looks on as the ball angles its way into the net. 01_B39footB02

William Sillars avoids a sliding tackle to keep possession of the ball. 01_B39footB03

The Blantyre keeper is unable to stop a powerful kick from Archie McNicol. 01_B39footB04

Teammates congratulate Archie McNicol after his second goal. 01_B39footB05