Want to read more?
We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Arran Banner – subscribe today for as little as 48 pence per week.
It was perfect weather for visiting gardens – sun, a light breeze and no midges – when Dougarie Estate held their annual open day last Tuesday.
In all 240 people came through the gate and enjoyed the gardens, and the teas in the 19th century boathouse and a total of £1,325 was made for Scotland’s Gardens charity initiative.
Taking place this year for the 36th time, the open day at Dougarie saw visitors view the terraced garden in the castellated folly built in 1905 to celebrate the marriage of the 12th Duke of Hamilton’s only child to the Duke of Montrose.
They will also be able to enjoy a selection of tender and rare shrubs and a small woodland area that includes azara, abutilon, eucryphia, hoheria and nothofagus trees, not forgetting a walk over the bridge with no sides over the Iorsa Water.
In addition to the open garden, teas and homebaking were served in the 19th century boathouse, where there was also be a tombola and other stalls.
A total of 60 per cent of the funds raised will be donated to a local cause, nominated by the garden owners, which this year will be Pirnmill Village Association. The rest of the money raised will go to Maggie’s Caring Centres, The Queen’s Nursing Institute, Scotland, and Perennial – formerly the Gardeners’ Royal Benelovant Society.