A little progress

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Arran Banner – subscribe today for as little as 48 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

Good to see there is at least some progress on the long saga of the redevelopment of the former McLaren Hotel site.

While it is ultimately up to the planning officials, or our elected representatives, to rule on the planning application, but the developers, in their resubmitted plans, have certainly gone some way to meeting some of the objections which have been made.

They have cut the size of the hotel while improving its appearance and the number of rooms, while increasing the number of parking spaces – which were all on the list of objections, so at least they are trying.

It is their view of staffing which may still be an issue. They contend that 80 per cent of their staff of around 25 will be employed from the mainland and they are to provide five staff rooms to accommodate them. The other 20 per cent will be recruited locally they say. How they plan to achieve this we are not quite sure, but again that’s one for the planners.

What we are at least pleased about is to see some progress. The McLaren site cannot be allowed to lie derelict and abandoned as it is for another summer next year.

We await developments with interest.