Late drama as Southend secure league victory

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Arran Banner – subscribe today for as little as 48 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Arran Dairies League

Brodick 2 Southend 2

Southend are the league champions for the first time in five years.

The Whiting Bay team had to come from behind against a solid Brodick in the Arran Dairies League match at Ormidale Park on Monday night to snatch a draw and the league title in a late drama.

Both teams were missing key players with some injuries due to the Arran league game the day before on Sunday.

Brodick’s front line of Toby Wingham, Babbies MacNeil and Owen ‘Pele’ Quigley caused most of the problems in the first half and it was Toby who eventually slotted one into the goal before half-time to make it 1-0.

In the second half Pele went on a mesmerising run and eventually the ball fell to Toby again who doubled the home team’s lead to take his goal tally to 21 for the season.

The turning point in the game was when referee Ian McDonald had had enough of Babbies repeated fouling and verbal abuse and he was given his marching orders to take Brodick down to 10 men.

Brodick still looked strong and Southend were unable to break them down until, ten minutes to go, Corey Allen pulled a goal back after a scramble from a free kick.

Southend were throwing everything at the game and in the 90th minute were awarded a free kick 30 yards out. Goalkeeper Stevie Judge and all the Southend boys had come up in a last ditch attempt to eqaulise to secure the league.

Willie Sillars launches the ball in with most people thinking he would send in a cross. Willie had other ideas though and the ball floated over everyone and the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Finlay Sillars who couldn’t prevent the ball from flying in the top corner of the goal.

Triumphant celebrations ensued as the Southend boys celebrated their first league title since 2013 with the the final round of postponed games still to be played.

Shiskine 1 Northend 0

Shiskine ended their season on a high after beating rivals Northend in a very close encounter. John Murchie’s goal was the only thing that separated the two teams after 90 minutes. Referee Greg McCrae gave the man of the match to Cammy Thomson after a brilliant performance up top for the Kinloch boys.

Monday night will see the start of the Copperwheats Knockout Cup and in the preliminary round Southend will host Northend to battle for a place to play Shiskine in the semi finals.


Brodick’s Matt Keir puts his all into a powerful attempt at goal. 01_B34footy01

Toby Wingham maintains possession of the ball despite a number of Southend players attacking him. 01_B34footy02

Players leap into the air in a bid for possession while the goalkeeper looks on. 01_B34footy03

A tense moment in goals as Southend try to capitalise on a ball coming from the corner of the pitch. 01_B34footy04

Owen ‘Pele’ Quigley powers down the field with supporting players on his flanks. 01_B34footy05