Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Arran Banner – subscribe today for as little as 48 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Sub heading: Brodick make it four in a row

Brodick 5 Southend 4

Brodick made it four league titles in a row after a thrilling play-off match against Southend last Saturday. In the biggest ever match in the league the two sides battled it out to see who would be crowned 2017 Arran Dairies league champions, after finishing the season level on points.

The game drew in a massive crowd to Ormidale Park with both sets of supporters in fine voice. The game had an old firm rivalry feel about it but thankfully the crowd didn’t opt for sectarianism abuse like in the Glasgow games. Instead there seemed to be a lot of food critics in the Southend support as they tried to wind up the Brodick players who worked in the food industry with banter about their products.

The game kicked off and straight from the off Brodick looked up for it and were rewarded after 10 minutes when Archie McNicol found the back of the net. Soon after Toby Wingham doubled the lead and Southend looked all over the place with the boys in blue dominating the first 20 minutes. At 2-0 McNicol also struck the woodwork and there was more chances for Brodick to put the game to bed early on.

Southend were then given a reprieve when there was a mix up in the Brodick defence and Lewis Kennedy was left to tap in an open goal. This gave Southend a new lease of life and it wasn’t long until they had got the equaliser when Jack Simmons lobbed a shot over Gregor Adamson into the right hand corner of the net. The teams looked set to go into half-time all square until Kennedy grabbed his second of the game on the stroke of half-time with a header that Adamson ended up nestling in the net after an uncharacteristic mistake from the goalkeeper

The second half kicked off and Southend couldn’t hold their lead for long as McNicol swung in a menacing corner and Babbies MacNeil got his head onto the ball powering it beyond Stevie Judge in the Southend goal to make it 3-3. Archie then bagged his second of the game as he picked the ball up on halfway and rounded Southend centre back Gavin Gilbert before sliding the ball into the far corner giving Judge no chance.

Brodick were then awarded a penalty with 20 minutes to go despite the protests from the Southend defenders. Referee Stevie Crawford deemed that Toby had been pulled back in the area and so, pointed to the spot where Archie made no mistake in completing his hat-trick.

Southend went for broke going with three at the back and were rewarded when Donald Park smashed in a half-volley to give Southend a fighting chance. Gavin Gilbert had a free kick from 30 yards with a couple of minutes on the clock. The set piece shot beat Gregor but hit the bar denying Southend a late equaliser.

Stevie blew the full time whistle and Brodick were crowned Arran Dairies league champions for the fourth year in a row. Archie was given man of the match for his best performance of the season and getting a hat-trick to win his team the league. Sponsor Alistair Dobson was on hand to present the shield to his son, Brodick captain Matthew.

The association would like to thank Stevie for refereeing, Ian ‘Loci’ McDonald and Sam Tattersfield for being refereeing assistants. They would also like to thank both teams for an exciting game played in sporting spirits and all the supporters and spectators who came to watch and make the day a great finale to the league.

Brodick are crowned four-in-a-row league champions. 01_B36footy01

Brodick captain Matthew Dobson receives the Arrran Dairies shield from dad Alastair. 01_B36footy02

Archie McNicol in a strong tussle with Danny Head. 01_B36footy03

Ryan Armstrong gets away from Matthew Dobson. 01_B36footy04

Brodick goalkeeper Gregor Adamson is beaten all ends up by a fierce Southend strike. 01_B36footy05

Archie McNicol bears down on the Southend goal on his way to scoring the winning goal. 01_B36footy06

Goalkeeper Gregor gets through a crowd of players to punch the ball clear. 01_B36footy07